- Food Safety Project: The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) selected the Mountain State as one of only five states to pilot a new food Safety Program. Ohio County has been designated as one of the 10 counties to participate. The goal of the project is to strengthen awareness of food safety.
Breakfast and Lunch Information
School Breakfast and Lunch Program:
All 13 Ohio County Schools will provide breakfast and lunch daily. Elementary and middle school students will have one lunch entrees each day. Wheeling Park High School students will be offered four choices daily, including a variety of salads, soups, sandwiches and main entrees. Every student who is eligible for reduced price meals may receive one breakfast and one lunch each day at the reduced price. Every student who is eligible for free meals may receive one breakfast and one lunch each day at no cost. Any High School student can purchase a second lunch for cash only at $1.75. Second lunches can not be charged. Extra milk and milk only will be sold for cash only at all schools at 40 cents per eight-ounce bottle. Milk sales can not be charged.
Information and Resources
Civil Rights Information
- Policy 2025: Ohio County Schools Rights Policy
- Policy 2025.01: Ohio County Schools Civil Right Complaint Procedure
- USDA Non-Discrimination Statement
- USDA Program Discrimination Complaint Form
Nutrition Newsletters and Resources
School Nutrition Standards
WVDE Child Nutrition homepage: http://wvde.state.wv.us/child-nutrition/
Foods sold, served or distributed outside of the school cafeteria must meet the nutrient requirements for West Virginia schools. This includes foods sold in vending machines and school stores, served during classroom parties, and provided by parents for snacks. The West Virginia Board of Education enacted rules for these "other foods" for three reasons:
- Snacks can help your child's meet their nutrition needs instead of adding unnecessary (and unhealthy) fat, sugar and salt;
- Food safety concerns; and
- Allergies and/or special diets required by some children.
Link to the Nutrition Calculator: http://wvde.state.wv.us/child-nutrition/tools/calculator.html
Click here for more OCS Wellness Information.