Students with consistent attendance in school achieve higher grades, enjoy school more, and upon graduation enter vocational and academic endeavors more successfully. Consistent attendance is considered to be an integral part of the students' course of study and assists in the development of punctuality, self-discipline, and responsibility. If a student is ill or will be absent from school, the parent/guardian is requested to call the school to report the absence. In the event that a call is not made to school, the school will make a "care call" to the home to verify the student's absence.
The average daily attendance rate for Ohio County Schools' students is 95%.
Student Attendance and Excuses:
Each school will establish procedures to reward faithful attendance and to notify parents when absences occur.
Students whose absences become excessive (10 days or more) will be required to have a conference with parents, teachers, and/or administrators to resolve issues of educational achievement, promotion, and completion of learning objectives.
When a student returns after an absence, a written excuse from parent, doctor, dentist, or other authority is necessary.
Excused absences, as defined by the West Virginia Board of Education Policy 4110.10, include:
- Illness or injury of the student requiring physician's verification.
- Medical and or dental appointment which cannot be scheduled outside the school day when the absence is verified in writing by the physician or dentist.
- Illness of student verified by parents/guardian not to exceed three (3) consecutive or five (5) total days per semester. Verification by a physician will be required if absences exceed three (3) consecutive days.
- Illness or injury in family when student absence verified as essential by physician.
- Calamity, such as fire in the home, flood, or family emergency upon approval by the school principal.
- Death in the family, limit three (3) days for each occurrence except in extraordinary circumstances. "Family" defined as mother, father, brother, sister, grandmother, grandfather, aunt, uncle, brother-in-law, sister-in-law, brother's children, sister's children, student's child(ren), or any person living in the same household.
- Leaves of education value adhering to these stipulations:
- Prior approval of school administrator.
- Prior submission and approval of education plan detailing objective and activities.
- Leave not to exceed 10 days - verification of implementation of the educational plan upon student's return.
- Leave to extend more than 10 days requires county board approval.
- School approved curricular or extracurricular activities.
- Legal obligation, with verification.
- Failure of bus to run or extremely hazardous conditions.
- Observance of religious holidays.
All other absences are unexcused and will result in appropriate disciplinary actions.
Make-up work is the responsibility of the student and will be initiated by the student upon the first class meeting following an absence.
There may be no withholding of credit and/or grades unless the student after given an opportunity to make up work fails to do so.
Regulation Revised: October 27, 1997
Regulation Adopted: August 14, 1984
Ohio County Board Of Education